Hydrogen Peroxide: A Novel Mechanism of Its Production from Pure Water
Keywords:Hydrogen peroxide; Hydroxyl radical; Water microdroplet; Water vapor
The latest cutting-edge research findings published in highly influential journals have greatly advanced our current understanding of hydrogen peroxide (H₂O₂), a notable reactive oxygen species, in chemistry, biology, and medicine. In this context, recent studies by J.K. Lee et al., published in Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, discovered a novel mechanism of spontaneous production of H₂O₂ from pure water in the absence of catalysts or external electric field. This discovery by J.K. Lee et al. has changed our view on the chemical connection between H₂O₂ and H₂O though the biological significance of the discovery remains unknown.
(First online: Jan 31, 2021)
- Hopkins RZ, Li YR. Essentials of Free Radical Biology and Medicine. Cell Med Press, Raleigh, NC, USA. 2017.
- Hopkins RZ. Hydrogen peroxide in biology and medicine: an overview. React Oxyg Species (Apex) 2017; 3(7):26–37. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.20455/ros.2017.809.
- Bergman P, Parise B, Liseau R, Larsson B, Olofsson H, Menten KM, et al. Detection of interstellar hydrogen peroxide. Astronomy Astrophysics 2011; 531:L8. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1051/0004-6361/201117170.
- Lee JK, Walker KL, Han HS, Kang J, Prinz FB, Waymouth RM, et al. Spontaneous generation of hydrogen peroxide from aqueous microdroplets. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2019; 116(39):19294‒8. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1911883116.
- Lee JK, Han HS, Chaikasetsin S, Marron DP, Waymouth RM, Prinz FB, et al. Condensing water vapor to droplets generates hydrogen peroxide. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2020; 117(49):30934‒41. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2020158117.
How to Cite
Submission of an original manuscript to the Journal will be taken to mean that it represents original work not previously published; that it is not being considered elsewhere for publication; that the author(s) agrees to assign copyright to the Journal upon acceptance for publication in the Journal, and if accepted for publication, it will be published in the digital format (PDF) and/or in print and it will not be published elsewhere in the same form, for commercial purposes, in any language, without the consent of the Publisher.