Metformin Finds Its New Molecular Targets
Keywords:Aging; AMP kinase; Diabetes; Inflammation; Metformin; Mitochondrial complex I; Nrf2; PEN2; SIRT3; v-ATPase
Metformin is a widely used antidiabetic drug. Studies over the past year have identified multiple novel molecular targets and pathways that metformin may act on to exert its beneficial effects in treating diabetes and potentially other disorders involving dysregulated inflammation. These newly found targets include mitochondrial complex I, Nrf2-SIRT3 signaling axis, PEN2, and lysosomal proton pump v-ATPase.
(First online: March 1, 2022)
- Flory J, Lipska K. Metformin in 2019. JAMA 2019; 321(19):1926–7. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.3805
- Xian H, Liu Y, Rundberg Nilsson A, Gatchalian R, Crother TR, Tourtellotte WG, et al. Metformin inhibition of mitochondrial ATP and DNA synthesis abrogates NLRP3 inflammasome activation and pulmonary inflammation. Immunity 2021; 54(7):1463–77 e11. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2021.05.004
- Madiraju AK, Erion DM, Rahimi Y, Zhang XM, Braddock DT, Albright RA, et al. Metformin suppresses gluconeogenesis by inhibiting mitochondrial glycerophosphate dehydrogenase. Nature 2014; 510(7506):542–6. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature13270
- Zhou G, Myers R, Li Y, Chen Y, Shen X, Fenyk-Melody J, et al. Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in mechanism of metformin action. J Clin Invest 2001; 108(8):1167–74. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1172/JCI13505
- Gao P, You M, Li L, Zhang Q, Fang X, Wei X, et al. Salt-Induced hepatic inflammatory memory contributes to cardiovascular damage through epigenetic modulation of SIRT3. Circulation 2022; 145(5):375–91. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.121.055600
- Ma T, Tian X, Zhang B, Li M, Wang Y, Yang C, et al. Low-dose metformin targets the lysosomal AMPK pathway through PEN2. Nature 2022. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41586-022-04431-8
How to Cite
Submission of an original manuscript to the Journal will be taken to mean that it represents original work not previously published; that it is not being considered elsewhere for publication; that the author(s) agrees to assign copyright to the Journal upon acceptance for publication in the Journal, and if accepted for publication, it will be published in the digital format (PDF) and/or in print and it will not be published elsewhere in the same form, for commercial purposes, in any language, without the consent of the Publisher.