Nrf2 Signaling in Viral Infections
Keywords:Antioxidant genes; COVID-19; Cytoprotective genes; Dimethyl fumarate; Nrf2 signaling; SARS-CoV2; Sul-foraphane; Viral infections
Nrf2 is a central regulator of cellular antioxidant and other cytoprotective genes. Several recent studies revealed a novel role for Nrf2 signaling in protecting against viral infections, including COVID-19. The findings from these studies pointed to a feasibility for treating viral infections, including COVID-19, via pharmacological activation of the Nrf2 signaling pathway.
(First online: March 3, 2022)
- Itoh K, Chiba T, Takahashi S, Ishii T, Igarashi K, Katoh Y, et al. An Nrf2/small Maf heterodimer mediates the induction of phase II detoxifying enzyme genes through antioxidant response elements. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1997; 236(2):313–22. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1997.6943
- Yamamoto M, Kensler TW, Motohashi H. The KEAP1-NRF2 system: a thiol-based sensor-effector apparatus for maintaining redox homeostasis. Physiol Rev 2018; 98(3):1169–203. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00023.2017
- Kobayashi EH, Suzuki T, Funayama R, Nagashima T, Hayashi M, Sekine H, et al. Nrf2 suppresses macrophage inflammatory response by blocking proinflammatory cytokine transcription. Nat Commun 2016; 7:11624. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms11624
- Rojo de la Vega M, Chapman E, Zhang DD. NRF2 and the hallmarks of cancer. Cancer Cell 2018; 34(1):21–43. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ccell.2018.03.022
- Cho HY, Imani F, Miller-DeGraff L, Walters D, Melendi GA, Yamamoto M, et al. Antiviral activity of Nrf2 in a murine model of respiratory syncytial virus disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009; 179(2):138–50. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200804-535OC
- Ferrari M, Zevini A, Palermo E, Muscolini M, Alexandridi M, Etna MP, et al. Dengue virus targets Nrf2 for NS2B3-mediated degradation leading to enhanced oxidative stress and viral replication. J Virol 2020; 94(24). doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1128/JVI.01551-20
- Wyler E, Franke V, Menegatti J, Kocks C, Boltengagen A, Praktiknjo S, et al. Single-cell RNA-sequencing of herpes simplex virus 1-infected cells connects NRF2 activation to an antiviral program. Nat Commun 2019; 10(1):4878. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-12894-z
- Olagnier D, Farahani E, Thyrsted J, Blay-Cadanet J, Herengt A, Idorn M, et al. SARS-CoV2-mediated suppression of NRF2-signaling reveals potent antiviral and anti-inflammatory activity of 4-octyl-itaconate and dimethyl fumarate. Nat Commun 2020; 11(1):4938. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-18764-3
How to Cite
Submission of an original manuscript to the Journal will be taken to mean that it represents original work not previously published; that it is not being considered elsewhere for publication; that the author(s) agrees to assign copyright to the Journal upon acceptance for publication in the Journal, and if accepted for publication, it will be published in the digital format (PDF) and/or in print and it will not be published elsewhere in the same form, for commercial purposes, in any language, without the consent of the Publisher.